[Macpartners] Apple Mail

Albert Willis awillis at MIT.EDU
Mon Dec 4 09:21:23 EST 2006

On Dec 1, 2006, at 9:23 AM, Hans Dietrich wrote:

> Hi All,
> I have a faculty user who is on Apple Mail and is using two
> computers, one laptop and a desktop.
> On his laptop, he has a "rule" to copy "every message" to an inbox on
> his local drive.
> And on his desktop, he manually moves all his messages off the server
> to an inbox on that machine.
>
> What is happening is that if he should check his messages on his
> Treo, the message on the server is flagged as having been read and
> will not "copy" using the rule as set up on the laptop.
>   It is not always possible to remember which message was read so
> therefore some are "lost" and this has created problems.
> There does not appear to be an "option" on overcome this problem.
>
> Any thoughts?

Hans,

a few things:

- by default, Mail caches email locally; that is, even when the
laptop is disconnected from the server, the user can access all of
their email that's in the inbox and any other mailbox that's been
recently accessed. Any changes made locally to the folders are synced
to the server once the machine connects to the server

- using a rule that moves email from the server to a local folder
defeats the purpose of using IMAP in the first place; once the email
has been removed from the server, it can't be accessed by the Treo or
an IMAP client on a different computer

- things would work much better if he left his "active" email (email
that needs to be accessed from multiple machines) on the server, so
that it can be accessed from the desktop, laptop or Treo, which is
how IMAP is designed to work. Now that there's 1 GB of quota, this
works quite well

   -- Al

Albert Willis
Macintosh Platform Coordinator - Software Release Team
Client Support Services
Information Services and Technology
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
awillis at mit.edu