[Macpartners] LaTex

Albert Willis awillis at MIT.EDU
Thu Nov 3 17:20:10 EST 2005

On Nov 3, 2005, at 10:37 AM, Annika Pfluger wrote:

> Hi Danielle,
>
> I use TeTex (Latex) with TexShop (the interface for using Latex) on
> my Mac.  First you need to make sure that you have the Apple
> Developer Tools installed on your mac and then install Fink
> Commander (http://finkcommander.sourceforge.net/). Launch Fink
> Commander and search for TexTex and run the full installation.  The
> last step is to install TexShop (http://www.apple.com/downloads/
> macosx/unix_open_source/texshop.html). Launch TexShop and change a
> couple of the default paths in preferences:
>
> 	- use /sw/bin for the path to pdftex
> 	- use /usr/local/bin for the path to latex
>
> There are a lot of steps, but it should all run pretty easily once
> you get started and it's all free. Good luck!
>
> Annika

I would like to add a little context for those that may be confused
about the differences in the advice being suggested for installing
TeTex.

There are two popular package managers for Unix software on Mac OS X:
Fink (http://fink.sourceforge.net/) and Darwin Ports (http://
darwinports.opendarwin.org/). Fink and Darwin Ports allow a user to
build and install software from source automatically; they both deal
with any dependencies that may be required to install the software.
Fink and Darwin Ports require Apple's developers tools to be
installed. The CDs or DVD that came with your Mac has the developer
tools on them; you can also create an Apple Developer Connection
account for free and download them from http://developer.apple.com/.

Annika's instructions are for using Fink, which is a fine way of
getting TeTex onto a machine.

If the plan is to install other Unix packages--not everything you may
want has a Mac OS X-style installer--using Fink or Darwin Ports makes
that easier than doing it manually with downloading source code,
building things in the correct order, figuring out dependencies, etc.

Bottom line: because of flexibility offered by Mac OS X, there are
different ways of accomplishing the same task, depending on the
situation.

Okay, back to our regularly scheduled program. ;-)

   -- Al

Albert Willis
Macintosh Platform Coordinator - Software Release Team
Information Services and Technology
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
awillis at mit.edu