[Macpartners] Problems with Mail.app in Tiger

Kerem B Limon k_limon at MIT.EDU
Fri Jun 24 12:49:09 EDT 2005

Quoting "Stephen P. Bell" <spbell at MIT.EDU>:

> Hi All,
>
>      I have been trying out Tiger on my new G4 laptop (it came with
> it) and am having some problems with the Mail.app (ver 2.0.1).  In
> particular, Mail does not seem to be able to reliably retrieve email
> from the server (I am using the IMAP protocol).  For example, I can
> see with Webmail that I have several emails on the server but they
> are not downloaded until much later (hours) if at all.  It does seem
> to get the mail eventually but not in response to pressing the "get
> Mail" button or after selecting "get new mail" under "mailbox".
>
>      My sense is that this has something to do with the account setup
> and passwords.  Initially I had set up my account as I have on my
> desktop (with 10.3.8) using socket 465, SSL and no password entered.
> After finding that I could sometimes solve the problem by quitting
> Mail and then relaunching Mail (which required me to re-enter my
> password) I entered my password at the server settings (i know that
> this is not recommended) and this seemed to make things work for a
> while but the problems seems to be cropping up again (after a day of
> pretty reliable email).
>
>      I have been reading the recent set of emails between Carolyn,
> Albert and Alexandra and I am wondering if I should be using Kerberos
> and not SSL.  If so can someone let me know what socket to use?  If
> not, does anyone have any other suggestions?  Everything else is
> working fine on the laptop with 10.4.1 and I am going to need Mail to
> be working for an upcoming trip out of the country so if I need to
> put 10.3 on the laptop to make email work I would like to know sooner
> rather than later.

Judging from the past chatter on this list and our experience at the list, if
the machine is new/recent as you suggest, it is highly unlikely you will be
able to put 10.3 on it. So, don't even try. At that point, I'd just switch to a
different mail client (please not Eudora!!!). Thunderbird has been working
remarkably well for us on all platforms.

-Kerem

>      Thanks for any help (sorry for the long message!)
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Steve
>

> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Stephen P. Bell