[Macpartners] Evolution for Mac OS X 10.3

Timothy Boyden trboyden at MIT.EDU
Fri Jun 3 13:35:38 EDT 2005

For those who might be interested in trying out Evolution (an email
client similar to Microsoft Outlook), Novell has released a port for Mac
OS X 10.3 at the following website:

http://forge.novell.com/modules/xfmod/project/?evolution

Previously Mac users were able to obtain Evolution by installing Fink,
however this package is a direct port of the Evolution application and
does not require Fink to be installed. The port is based on the current
2.2 release version of Evolution for Linux and as such contains that
versions feature set such as SpamAssasin spam filtering, Microsoft
Exchange Server 2000/2003 and Novell Groupwise server support. A full
description of Evolution's features can be found at the following:

http://gnome.org/projects/evolution/

As a port, Evolution does have some shortcomings, and after some use
these are some that I have discovered:

300+ Mb installed

Requires X11 to be installed and to run Evolution (X11 based apps tend
to open slower than native Mac apps)

Shortcut keys are the UNIX variant (i.e. Control-A to select all as
opposed to Command-A)

Evolution program window does not respond to application switching  (you
have to minimize other applications to get to the Evolution program
window)

Despite it's current limitations, Evolution could fill a niche where
some of it's features are needed to overcome other email application or
operating system shortcomings (such as a Mac client for Microsoft
Exchange). Also I don't have a 10.4 machine so I have no idea if it
works under Tiger.

Regards,

Timothy Boyden
MIT Department of Facilities