[Macpartners] Evolution for Mac OS X 10.3

Kerem B Limon k_limon at MIT.EDU
Fri Jun 3 13:45:59 EDT 2005

Quoting Timothy Boyden <trboyden at MIT.EDU>:

> For those who might be interested in trying out Evolution (an email
> client similar to Microsoft Outlook), Novell has released a port for Mac
> OS X 10.3 at the following website:
>
> http://forge.novell.com/modules/xfmod/project/?evolution
>
> Previously Mac users were able to obtain Evolution by installing Fink,
> however this package is a direct port of the Evolution application and
> does not require Fink to be installed. The port is based on the current
> 2.2 release version of Evolution for Linux and as such contains that
> versions feature set such as SpamAssasin spam filtering, Microsoft
> Exchange Server 2000/2003 and Novell Groupwise server support. A full
> description of Evolution's features can be found at the following:
>
> http://gnome.org/projects/evolution/
>
> As a port, Evolution does have some shortcomings, and after some use
> these are some that I have discovered:
>
> 300+ Mb installed
>
> Requires X11 to be installed and to run Evolution (X11 based apps tend
> to open slower than native Mac apps)
>
> Shortcut keys are the UNIX variant (i.e. Control-A to select all as
> opposed to Command-A)
>
> Evolution program window does not respond to application switching  (you
> have to minimize other applications to get to the Evolution program
> window)
>
> Despite it's current limitations, Evolution could fill a niche where
> some of it's features are needed to overcome other email application or
> operating system shortcomings (such as a Mac client for Microsoft
> Exchange). Also I don't have a 10.4 machine so I have no idea if it
> works under Tiger.

This is cool. However, I was under the impression that Microsoft is actively
positioning Entourage as the Exchange client app on the Mac. What does
Evolution do specifically that Entourage doesn't?

-Kerem

> Regards,
>
> Timothy Boyden
> MIT Department of Facilities