[Macpartners] Zeroing sectors of just one volume (on a partitioned drive)

Timothy Boyden trboyden at MIT.EDU
Fri Jul 1 11:47:33 EDT 2005

Although not free, SuperScrubber from Jiiva Software
(http://www.jiiva.com) $29.99 claims to securely erase data from
internal or external hard drives and partitions.

Honestly I'm not sure how secure this approach would be given that due
to defragmentation data gets written all over a hard drive so even if
you did zero just one partition, data from that partition may still be
on other parts of the drive and recoverable through professional means.

A better approach would be to copy the data you want to keep to another
drive, zero the old drive and copy the saved data back to the old drive.
It's going to take awhile to zero the drive anyways so the extra step of
copying the good data won't mean much in the end. Also it's a safer
method given something could happen to the good data during the zeroing
process of the one partition.

Tim Boyden
MIT Department of Facilities
IT Group