[Macpartners] Zeroing sectors of just one volume (on a partitioned drive)

Timothy Boyden trboyden at MIT.EDU
Fri Jul 1 12:05:25 EDT 2005

According to this posting, apparently you can do the same thing using
the UNIX 'dd' command:

***********
bdl
08-16-2002, 05:03 PM
Best way I've found to wipe a drive, data, partition table and all is to
just use the 'dd' command under linux (or possibly BSD, I can't confirm
atm). You just issue the command

$ dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda bs=1M count=38172

Where the device is your drive device and the count value is the size of
your hdd.
Some SCSI controllers also have this function built in, when you boot up
and enter the SCSI utility screen you'll see it.

Instead of the output file being the drive, you could point it to your
partition. 'dd' is a powerful command and if your not sure how to use it
properly I would reccomend not trying it. There is lots of information
online about it if you want to give it a try though.

Tim Boyden
MIT Department of Facilities
IT Group