[Macpartners] Zeroing sectors of just one volume (on a partitioned drive)

David M Rosenberg rosenberg at MIT.EDU
Fri Jul 1 11:01:50 EDT 2005

With Apple's Disk Utility (version 10.4.4 in MacOS X 10.3.9), when
you go to erase an entire drive there is an "Options..." button that
has checkboxes for the following two options:

Zero all data (writes zeros to all sectors of disk)

8 Way Random Write Format
(writes random data over entire disk eight times)

However, if I go to erase one volume on a disk drive, the "Options..."
button is disabled and I don't see a way of zeroing all the sectors of
just one volume.

Does anyone know how to zero all the sectors of one volume without
effecting other volumes on the same drive with either Apple's Disk
Utility or some other free utility?