[Macpartners] Printing/CUPS problems after Security Update 2005-001?

Kerem B Limon k_limon at MIT.EDU
Wed Feb 9 12:01:08 EST 2005

I have a user who started running into this strange printing problem from
FileMaker Pro (6.0v4) after she installed Security Update 2005-001 from Apple.
Before the update, everything was working.

She uses a *very simple* FileMaker database that contains, in print/view mode
just a few text boxes and the text in them. When she prints this to any printer
(including her HP LaserJet 1200 or any Tektronix Phaser), we get the following
error from CUPS:

[Job ####] pictwpstops - got an error closing the PSStream = -50

I've done extensive searching on Google, Apple Discussions, MacFixIt Forums,
FileMaker forums to no avail. No one else seems to have the exact same problem,
yet the Apple Discussions and MacFixIt Forums are riddled with people having
trouble with this security update, some of them for other printing issues.

There was one suggestion at the following Apple lists post

http://lists.apple.com/archives/printing/2003/Jul/msg00072.html

that suggest a problem with the PPD syntax. However, the PPDs in question, when
compared between her and a pre-Security Update 2005-001 system, are identical,
and have the correct syntax described. (I am now waiting for her to try
changing resolution when printing from FileMaker to see if it makes a
difference).

http://www.macromedia.com/cfusion/knowledgebase/index.cfm?id=tn_18893

has a a report of the exact same issue (search for 'pictwpstops'), but for
FreeHand MX, but again, no one seems clueful.

This is a consistent, reproducible error, and she's not been able to print from
FileMaker since. We've tried simplifying the fonts down to all Arial, and there
are no graphics or other objects in the view. The document also fails to
produce a PDF using Acrobat or Preview.

Any suggestions? FileMaker tech support appears to be not free (unless MIT's
install key is accepted--anyone know the terms of the agreement)?

-Kerem

Kerem B. Limon
kerem.limon at mit.edu /e-mail