[Macpartners] OS X printing problem

Helen Rose hrose at MIT.EDU
Thu Sep 16 16:18:03 EDT 2004

At 16:08 -0400 2004-09-16, Erica Beade wrote:
>Hi,
>
>We've been having chronic problems printing to a networked HP
>LaserJet 4200n from various Mac OS X machines, and I'm wondering if
>anyone has had similar problems. The upgrade to 10.3 fixed the
>problem for all but one machine (but of course it's the boss's
>machine. )
>
>What happens is that the printer gets "hung up" on jobs sent from
>this computer, doesn't print the job, but won't print anything else
>either. The sender name and the file name flash on the printer
>display alternating with a "Data Received" message.  Sometimes
>pressing "Cancel Job" fixes it, but usually the printer has to be
>rebooted, and occasionally the computer as well.
>
>We are using LPR printing, via fiber.mit.edu. I've tried the Help
>Desk and various other resources, including a call to HP, but have
>found no solution. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Ah yes, I've seen this one. Unfortunately, the only workaround I've
found is to drop those machines back to Appletalk printing. It seems
to occur on some segments of network and not on others.

An upgrade to a 100 megabit network did improve things, but not wipe
out the problem entirely. I suspect the only way to rid my users of
this troublesome behaviour will be to move them lock, stock & barrel
out of the office where the problems occur.

I wish I had more to offer apart from a workaround. Good luck, and
I'll look forward to seeing other solutions.

--Helen