[Macpartners] Macintosh Utility Software Recommendations

Albert Willis awillis at MIT.EDU
Sat Jun 26 15:20:44 EDT 2004

My experience has been that using Disk Utility (fsck at the command
line) handles all of the routine stuff nicely. IMHO, Disk Warrior is
the must-have commercial utility for returning corrupted drives back
into a usable state, even severely scrambled ones. Keep in mind that
Symantec has dropped Norton Utilities for the Mac.

I haven't tested it yet, but the fsck_hfs command has a rebuild option
that will rebuild a drive's catalog, similar to what Disk Warrior does.
If you're interested, check the man pages for fsck_hfs.

There's isn't a disk utility that IS&T provides support for.  Since Mac
OS X 10.3 shipped, there's been probably less of need for repairing
drives since 10.3 has file system journaling turned on by default. More
info at http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=153377.

   -- Al