[Macpartners] tex advice

Albert Willis awillis at MIT.EDU
Mon Dec 27 17:31:55 EST 2004

On Dec 27, 2004, at 1:57 PM, Annika Pfluger wrote:

> Hi Rachel,
>
> I use TeTex (Latex) with TexShop (the interface for using Latex) on my
> Mac.  First you need to install Fink Commander
> (http://finkcommander.sourceforge.net/) on your Mac. Launch Fink
> Commander and search for TexTex and run the full installation.  The
> last step is to install TexShop
> (http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/unix_open_source/texshop.html).
> Launch TexShop and change a couple of the default paths in
> preferences:
>
> 	- use /sw/bin for the path to pdftex
> 	- use /usr/local/bin for the path to latex
>
> There are a lot of steps, but it should all run pretty easily. Good
> luck!
>
> Annika

I agree that TexShop is a great way to go. I have a friend who did a
300 page thesis using TexShop and it worked well.

If you go to http://www.uoregon.edu/~koch/texshop/texshop.html, this
contains all of the information and instructions for installing TexShop
and TeXLive-teTeX, the Tex engine.

While you can build TeXLive-teTeX from scratch using Fink, it may be
simpler for you to get Gerben Wierda's I-installer, which downloads,
installs and configures TeXLive-teTeX for you, including any additional
options you may need. That's what I've used in the past and recommend
to folks. The I-installer is available on the page at TexShop, along
with instructions for what to install, etc. Again, the page is
http://www.uoregon.edu/~koch/texshop/texshop.html.

   -- Al

Albert Willis
Macintosh Platform Coordinator - Software Release Team
Information Services and Technology
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
awillis at mit.edu