[lookit-research] Children Helping Science and Lookit!

Melissa Kline Struhl lookit at mit.edu
Tue Mar 15 13:37:24 EDT 2022

Dear Lookit & Children Helping Science Communities,
(with apologies for any duplicated emails!)

We’re writing today with an update on the email(s) you received in February
about Lookit and Children Helping Science. Your feedback has helped us to
identify some important points for the combined platform, and we’re excited
to get started on next steps!

Later today, you will see the first visual changes to lookit.mit.edu,
featuring the new name of the platform: “Children Helping Science, powered
by Lookit”. At the moment, this is just a change to the wording, but it’s
the first concrete step in refining how we communicate about the platform.
Broadly speaking, researchers can continue to refer to the existing
platform you use as “Lookit”, while “Children Helping Science” will begin
to be used in public and family-facing contexts like recruitment emails.

If you are a current Lookit user, you don’t need to do anything in response
to this email!  Nothing is changing about the emails that families receive,
and none of the links to your studies will be changing. In a few months,
you might want to start using the wording “Children Helping Science”
instead of “Lookit” with families, but this is at your discretion - no need
to change any of the materials you’re using.

If you are a current CHS user, nothing is happening to your posted studies
today. If you have submitted a study that is waiting in the long posting
queue and not yet visible, you can contact Mark Sheskin (msheskin at gmail.com)
to let us know if you would like to post your study to Lookit instead,
using the new external study type
<https://lookit.readthedocs.io/en/develop/community-study-approval-process.html>.
We will continue to catch up with the studies in the CHS queue, but we are
going to stop accepting any new studies at CHS as of April 14th.

Posting studies on Lookit is free for researchers, but because you need to
set up a data agreement with your institution, you should plan for a ~1-2
month buffer from starting the signup process to posting your first study.
Subsequent studies take more like 1-2 weeks for initial review, and updates
like typos or small adjustments to age ranges can be made quickly to
minimize any downtime.

Melissa (and previously Kim) have gotten these data agreements signed with
over 50 institutions in North America, Europe, and Asia - your first step
should be to reach out to Melissa to find out if your intuition already has
one!

Finally, if you have five minutes to spare, it would be tremendously
helpful if you could fill out our demographics Q&A survey
<https://forms.gle/z2kKcZRriehHv18W7> (tag line: “Collecting the basic
data, so you don’t have to!”)

We are keenly interested in making this a successful transition for all, so
please reach out if you have any concerns or questions about using the new
CHS (Lookit!) platform.

Melissa Kline Struhl

Executive Director

Mark Sheskin

on behalf of the Parent & Researcher Collaborative