[lookit-research] Custom lab links and more!

Melissa Kline mekline at mit.edu
Wed Mar 2 12:02:14 EST 2022

Dear all (with apologies for those of you who also see this info on the
Slack),

As part of the Children Helping Science/Lookit collaboration, we are
starting to release some  improvements to the study search page that many
of you have requested in the past.  We've implemented two of these:

(1) Lab Links!! Every lab now has a page showing that lab's active,
discoverable studies.

You can use this link for recruiting- it will stay up to date with your
current set of studies, and the URL won't change. Your lab's URL is the
name you chose for your lab on Lookit, with spaces and punctuation removed,
like this: https://lookit.mit.edu/studies/early-childhood-cognition-lab/

(2) Study card summaries: We've had frequent requests to make the cards on
the study search  <https://lookit.mit.edu/studies/>page smaller, so that
more studies are on the first page of results and families can see what's
available more easily.

In order to do this, we need *very* short descriptions for every study, so
the first sentence of your study description has been copied to a new field
called "Preview Summary."

To get a rough idea of what this will look like, you can have a look
at the equivalent
page <https://childrenhelpingscience.com/see-all-studies> on CHS :)

Both of these changes have been implemented automatically, so no action is
necessary on your part. But if you'd like to check or change those values,
the instructions are below.

We'd also love your feedback on either of these changes - this is the
initial implementation and it would be really helpful to know more about
what people would like their lab pages and search results to look like!
Please feel free to send me an email or contact me on Slack with any
thoughts you have.

All the best,

Melissa

*How to change your lab's custom URL: *
*From the top right of the menu bar in Experimenter mode, choose "Manage
Labs" from the dropdown menu underneath your name.
*Choose your lab, and then click "Edit Lab" on the right side of the screen.
*Look for the field called "Custom URL", right below where you enter a URL
for your lab's external website.

*How to change a study's preview description: *
* From the Experimenter view, choose Manage Studies from the top bar, then
search/select the study you want.
* Choose "Edit study" from the menu on the right hand side
 * The Preview Summary field is near the top of the form, just below where
you upload the study image

--
Melissa Kline Struhl
Lookit Executive Director