[LCM Articles] Calculation of the number of Pro-SyrianProtestors...

Saad Shakhshir saads at MIT.EDU
Mon Mar 14 15:16:25 EST 2005

I was wondering - what if there were people sitting on other people's
shoulder's.  Did the study take this into account?  How about people standing
on rooftops?  And also the suggestion that 4 Lebanese can fit into 1m^2 seems
implausible to me since we just learnt a few months back that the majority of
lebanese are obese/overweight (for reference see Walid Chamoun's email dated
12/29/04).

Not to belittle what I think could be a very interesting and constructive
debate, but this "my demonstration was bigger than yours" attitude is, in my
opinion, very childish.  I doubt that any "side" can credibly state that the
other "side" doesn't have a significant following.  What is particularly
intriguing to me is that I believe both "sides" actually have a lot of common
ground - if they would only take the time to understand each other.

I would be very interested if someone gave thought to Jad Karam's email and
responded to some of the questions he posed.  It appeared to me to be a genuine
attempt from someone on one "side" to understand those on the other "side".

Saad