DNS server hangs in/after gss_indicate_mechs call on Windows with krb5-1.9 libs

Elzey, Blaine A (Blaine) blaine.elzey at alcatel-lucent.com
Thu Feb 24 16:08:29 EST 2011

I am running DNS on Windows 2008, my KDC is Windows 2003 SP2.  On the DNS server machine I see the krb5.ini is read, but the specified default_keytab_name file is never opened.  I have tried many variations for the syntax of the default_keytab_name value to no avail.  I have also tried variation of different libdefaults values with no luck. The DNS server does not answer any queries about 2 seconds after starting. The last action the process monitor sees is the successful IRP_MJ_CLEANUP operation for the krb5.ini file (after successful open and read.)  I do see context swithes climb slowly for the process, but nothing else (no CPU or IO). The stack:

ntiskrnl.exe!KeWaitForMultipleObjects
ntiskrnl.exe!PsGetCurrentThreadTeb
ntiskrnl.exe!NtOpenProcessToken
ntiskrnl.exe!KiDeliverApc
ntiskrnl.exe!KiFastSystemCallRet
ntoskrnl.exe!WaitForSingleObject
gssapi32.dll!gss_indicate_mechs
gssapi32.dll!gss_indicate_mechs
gssapi32.dll!gss_indicate_mechs
gssapi32.dll!gss_init_sec_context
gssapi32.dll!gss_add_cred
gssapi32.dll!gss_acquire_cred
libdns_qddns.dll!dst_gssapi_acquirecred
name.exe!ns_tkeyctx_fromconfig

Krb5.ini:
[libdefaults]
        default_realm = LABW2K3.COM
        default_keytab_name = C:/Files/dev/krb5.keytab
        # the following two must be on des-cbc-crc for MIT kerberos
        default_tkt_enctypes = des-cbc-md5
        default_tgs_enctypes = des-cbc-md5
        dns_lookup_kdc = false
        dns_lookup_realm = false
        rdns = false
        allow_weak_crypto = true

    [realms]
        LABW2K3.COM = {
            kdc = 10.54.0.42:88
            default_domain = test.com
        }

    [domain_realm]
        .test.com = LABW2K3.COM
        test.com = LABW2K3.COM
        .labw2k3.com = LABW2K3.COM
        labw2k3.com = LABW2K3.COM

    [logging]
#        kdc = FILE:C:/Files/dev/krb5kdc.log
#        admin_server = FILE:C:/Files/dev/kadmin.log
#        default = FILE:C:/Files/dev/krb5lib.log
        kdc = STDERR
        admin_server = STDERR
        default = STDERR