standardizing copyright/license notice delimiters in MIT source files.

Zhanna Tsitkova tsitkova at MIT.EDU
Thu Nov 4 12:03:31 EDT 2010

On Sep 21, 2010, at 2:12 PM, Will Fiveash wrote:

> /* -*- mode: c; c-basic-offset: 4; indent-tabs-mode: nil -*- */
> /* prototype/prototype.c */

I suggest to add a short comment stating the purpose of the file  into
the second line, i.e :

/* prototype/prototype.c - Short Description */

For example, in krb5.hin we currently have

/* -*- mode: c; c-basic-offset: 4; indent-tabs-mode: nil -*- */
/* include/krb5.h
.... LONG COPYRIGHTS...
  *
  * General definitions for Kerberos version 5.
  */

it would change to:

/* -*- mode: c; c-basic-offset: 4; indent-tabs-mode: nil -*- */
/* include/krb5.h - General definitions for Kerberos version 5
.... LONG COPYRIGHTS...
  *
  */

One should notice that some of the files do have the-purpose-of-the-
file comments somewhere in the file body  (similar to krb5.hin).
Others don't. I think it is very useful to have  it on the very top of
the file in the close proximity of the file name itself.

The whole line should end before the 90th (or so) column.

More detailed description of the file purpose may follow the
copyrights statements.

Thanks,
Zhanna