standardizing copyright/license notice delimiters in MIT source files.

Will Fiveash will.fiveash at oracle.com
Thu Nov 4 17:32:57 EDT 2010

On Thu, Nov 04, 2010 at 12:03:31PM -0400, Zhanna Tsitkova wrote:
> On Sep 21, 2010, at 2:12 PM, Will Fiveash wrote:
>

> >/* -*- mode: c; c-basic-offset: 4; indent-tabs-mode: nil -*- */
> >/* prototype/prototype.c */
>

> I suggest to add a short comment stating the purpose of the file  into the
> second line, i.e :
>
> /* prototype/prototype.c - Short Description */
>

> For example, in krb5.hin we currently have
>
> /* -*- mode: c; c-basic-offset: 4; indent-tabs-mode: nil -*- */
> /* include/krb5.h
> .... LONG COPYRIGHTS...
>  *
>  * General definitions for Kerberos version 5.
>  */
>

> it would change to:
>
> /* -*- mode: c; c-basic-offset: 4; indent-tabs-mode: nil -*- */
> /* include/krb5.h - General definitions for Kerberos version 5
> .... LONG COPYRIGHTS...
>  *
>  */
>
> One should notice that some of the files do have the-purpose-of-the-file
> comments somewhere in the file body  (similar to krb5.hin). Others don't. I
> think it is very useful to have  it on the very top of the file in the close
> proximity of the file name itself.
>
> The whole line should end before the 90th (or so) column.
>
> More detailed description of the file purpose may follow the copyrights
> statements.

As long as:

1. The first copyright block always starts in the third comment block
   from the top.

2. Each unique copyright follows it in its own (/*, */ delineated)
   comment block.

3. Each copyright block contains the word "copyright".

then I don't have a problem with your suggestion.
--
Will Fiveash
Oracle