// comments

Ken Raeburn raeburn at MIT.EDU
Fri Jan 9 13:44:10 EST 2009

On Jan 9, 2009, at 13:27, Henry B. Hotz wrote:
> I might or might not agree per-se, but it seems to me that how you
> delineate right-of-code comments is pretty minor compared to the
> things we really need to worry about:

Agreed.

> 2) ease of accepting "free" contributions
> 3) ease of code maintenance

Accepting too wide a range of coding styles in contributions, without
enforcing any consistency, makes the code harder to read and
maintain.  So does accepting code that unconditionally uses newer
language features that may not be available from the standard
compilers on platforms we want the code to work on, like, well, much
of C 99 on Windows.

That said, I don't think "//" vs "/* */" is a big deal stylistically.
It'd just be the compilers I'd be concerned about -- e.g., Sun, HP,
IBM native compilers, and those of anyone else importing our code (and
not using gcc) whom we might care about.  Unless we know none of them
would have a problem with it, we should be conservative.

Ken