// comments

Ken Hornstein kenh at cmf.nrl.navy.mil
Fri Jan 9 13:52:52 EST 2009

>That said, I don't think "//" vs "/* */" is a big deal stylistically.
>It'd just be the compilers I'd be concerned about -- e.g., Sun, HP,
>IBM native compilers, and those of anyone else importing our code (and
>not using gcc) whom we might care about.  Unless we know none of them
>would have a problem with it, we should be conservative.

I agree it's not a big deal stylistically; my personal preference is to
not use //, but that's not really a valid consideration.  I just wanted to
agree with Luke that it bugs me too.

But ... FWIW, within the last couple of years, I ran into an issue with
the C compiler that we were using under Solaris not working with //
comments (at the time, gcc accepted them).  That may no longer be a
concern, but it certainly was.  No, I don't remember which version of
the Sun C compiler this was.

--Ken