pkinit kinit/krb5.conf naming inconsistencies

Marcus Watts mdw at umich.edu
Thu Sep 18 15:11:35 EDT 2008

"Henry B. Hotz" <hotz at jpl.nasa.gov> wrote:
> Date:    Thu, 18 Sep 2008 10:18:52 PDT
> To:      "krbdev at mit.edu" <krbdev at mit.edu>
> From:    "Henry B. Hotz" <hotz at jpl.nasa.gov>
> Subject: Re: pkinit kinit/krb5.conf naming inconsistencies
> If I might make a related, strategic suggestion:  If you allocated
> some resources to quick review of unsolicited contributions, you would

I'm not sure this is completely related, but I recently posted a number of
"unsolicited contributions" to RT, and I had another one that's been in
RT for over a year now (#5667)--it now predates several recent strategic changes.
I think an even more critical reason than 'good will' to review
contributions there is that it's a cheap way to identify code
problems.

We at umich.edu have run a patched MIT k5 since it was first rolled out,
in 2000.  There is definite interest here in not running those patches,
and that means finding a way for equivalents to those patches to be in
MIT.  Now, a lot of those patches aren't needed anymore; we had a lot of
changes to maintain better continuity with kaserver and K4; we no longer
care about those.  Also it looks like MIT is finally making a significant
effort to support nearly realtime incremental replication which removes
the need for our largest single change.  That still leaves a number of
patches, of varying importance and size, that need to be resolved.

					-Marcus Watts