mediawiki as a choice of wiki software

Alexandra Ellwood lxs at MIT.EDU
Wed Oct 3 18:06:26 EDT 2007

On Oct 3, 2007, at 5:28 PM, John Hascall wrote:

>> One of our goals is to work on opening up the MIT Kerberos software
>> project and getting a lot of outside involvement.  ...
>> I'm considering putting together a wiki ...
>
>> I propose using mediawiki because I find its markup easy to use and
>> because it is very stable and promotes community interactions.  The
>> down sides are that it doesn't support having pages that are not
>> anonymously readable.  I think that's probably a feature for this
>> wiki.
>
> It's not clear to me if you want no anonymously readable
> pages or only some not anonymously readable pages, but
> we have successfully used mediawiki with pubcookie
> to restrict access in a manner which seems at least
> similar to what you want.

There were a few "not"s and "don't"s in Sam's sentence but I believe
it translated to "the fact that MediaWiki only supports publicly
readable pages is probably a feature for our purposes".

I also don't believe we need any access control for reading pages.
If the wiki exists to get more people involved in Kerberos
development then restricting access to the content in the wiki would
defeat the purpose.  :-)

--lxs

Alexandra Ellwood <lxs at mit.edu>
MIT Kerberos Development Team