mediawiki as a choice of wiki software

John Hascall john at iastate.edu
Wed Oct 3 17:28:42 EDT 2007

> One of our goals is to work on opening up the MIT Kerberos software
> project and getting a lot of outside involvement.  ...
> I'm considering putting together a wiki ...

> I propose using mediawiki because I find its markup easy to use and
> because it is very stable and promotes community interactions.  The
> down sides are that it doesn't support having pages that are not
> anonymously readable.  I think that's probably a feature for this
> wiki.

It's not clear to me if you want no anonymously readable
pages or only some not anonymously readable pages, but
we have successfully used mediawiki with pubcookie
to restrict access in a manner which seems at least
similar to what you want.

Of course, then you run into the question of what to
use as pubcookie's authentication DB (we're using Kerberos
of course, but I've never seen if it works cross-realm).
This is, of course, the sort of problem shibboleth is
supposed to solve, but shibboleth servers aren't exactly
common (yet).

John