Error while compiling krb 1.5

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Wed Jul 5 15:38:39 EDT 2006

Sam Hartman <hartmans at MIT.EDU> writes:

> Questions that need to be resolved:

> * what does it mean to build static?  The easiest semantic is that you
>   build  everything static except that the plugins are still shared.

> * How does the plugin get symbols from the krb5 library in a static
>   build.  Currently we don't expect unresolved symbols in our shared
>   library builds and don't want the complexity of sometimes having
>   that assumption.  Also, making sure that all the symbols the plugin
>   needs in the application would be available may be hard.

My guess is that most people's static build requirements would be
satisfied by a build option that builds both static and shared libraries,
still builds all the server code (kdc, kadmind, etc.) against the shared
libraries, and only builds the clients against the static libraries.  That
makes the build machinery more complex, but it sould resolve the plugin
problem since I don't expect the clients will need plugins.

The main use of static builds in this day and age is easier distribution
of software to large numbers of clients, something that's not an issue for
the server code.