Error while compiling krb 1.5

Sam Hartman hartmans at MIT.EDU
Wed Jul 5 11:01:51 EDT 2006

>>>>> "Rainer" == Rainer Weikusat <rainer.weikusat at sncag.com> writes:

    Rainer> Sam Hartman <hartmans at mit.edu> writes:
    >>>>>>> "Shivakeshav" == Shivakeshav Santi <ss488 at cornell.edu>
    >>>>>>> writes:

    Shivakeshav> HI, I am trying to compile the latest krb 1.5 on
    Shivakeshav> Solaris. I am trying to build static libraries, I
    Shivakeshav> used the following command to configure : configure
    Shivakeshav> --enable-static --disable-shared

    >> Kerberos 1.5 does not support building without shared
    >> libraries.

    Rainer> Is there a technical reason for this or is this just the
    Rainer> way the build system works?

we didn't get a chance to decide on semantics and we idn't implement
those semantics in the build system.

The issue is that critical parts of the KDC (KDB interface) are only
available as plugins.

Questions that need to be resolved:

* what does it mean to build static?  The easiest semantic is that you build  everything static except that the plugins are still shared.

* How does the plugin get symbols from the krb5 library in a static
  build.  Currently we don't expect unresolved symbols in our shared
  library builds and don't want the complexity of sometimes having
  that assumption.  Also, making sure that all the symbols the plugin
  needs in the application would be available may be hard.

--Sam