Error while compiling krb 1.5

Donn Cave donn at u.washington.edu
Wed Jul 5 15:55:18 EDT 2006

On Jul 5, 2006, at 12:38 PM, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Sam Hartman <hartmans at MIT.EDU> writes:
>> Questions that need to be resolved:
>
>> * what does it mean to build static?  The easiest semantic is that
>> you
>>   build  everything static except that the plugins are still shared.
>
>> * How does the plugin get symbols from the krb5 library in a static
>>   build.  Currently we don't expect unresolved symbols in our shared
>>   library builds and don't want the complexity of sometimes having
>>   that assumption.  Also, making sure that all the symbols the plugin
>>   needs in the application would be available may be hard.
>
> My guess is that most people's static build requirements would be
> satisfied by a build option that builds both static and shared
> libraries,
> still builds all the server code (kdc, kadmind, etc.) against the
> shared
> libraries, and only builds the clients against the static
> libraries.  That
> makes the build machinery more complex, but it sould resolve the
> plugin
> problem since I don't expect the clients will need plugins.
>
> The main use of static builds in this day and age is easier
> distribution
> of software to large numbers of clients, something that's not an
> issue for
> the server code.

It wouldn't even have to be done both ways in the same build -
I'd settle for a "build static with no KDC" option (it wouldn't
be the first time I've built with no KDC or kadmind), and a
"build shared with KDC".  I don't currently maintain separate
builds specifically for applications vs. Kerberos servers, but
I've thought about it.

	Donn Cave, donn at u.washington.edu