Making sure existing kdc.conf files continue to work

Sam Hartman hartmans at MIT.EDU
Fri Jan 27 17:41:59 EST 2006

Hi.  We need to make sure that for the most part existing kdc.conf
files continue to work even if they are unchanged.

Most of this is done.  The DAL library defaults to the db2 module.

The one part that is not currently done is that the database_name
relation in the realms section of kdc.conf is no longer used.
Instead, the database_name relation in the db_modules section of
krb5.conf is used.

We need to have some sort of fallback behavior for database_name.

I'm not sure what the best way to handle this is especially because by
design the kdb5 library and the db2 plugin only read krb5.conf.

It seems that somehow the kadm5 library and/or the applications need
to determine what the value of the database_name relationship is and
somehow pass that down (possibly in database_args?) ito the dal layer.
We want a solution that continues to work when krb5.conf and kdc.conf
merge.

Comments and suggestions?  This is mostly targeted at Ken and the
folks from Novell, as I think they may be the only people who have
looked at the DAL code enough.

--Sam