Doing away with changelogs

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz at cmu.edu
Mon Apr 17 13:04:08 EDT 2006

On Friday, April 14, 2006 11:31:28 AM -0400 Sam Hartman <hartmans at mit.edu>
wrote:

>     >> Do you find http://anonsvn.mit.edu/svn/krb5 insufficient?
>     Eric> Just my two cents:
>
>     Eric> I might suggest that in five to ten years that URL may be
>     Eric> useless, and would encourage making krb5 source
>     Eric> distributions as self-contained as possible. (And I often
>     Eric> regard changelog information as an essential part of a
>     Eric> source distribution.)
>

> Note that you can mirror our repository.  That's what I do; I have
> copies of the complete version history for krb5 on both of the
> machines where I tend to do development.  (I'm using svk; you could
> use svm to mirror and then use nomal subversion commands; you could
> also grab the full repository out of AFS).

That requires me to know that I'm going to care early enough to begin
mirroring the respository before it stops existing.  Source distributions
should contain an actual copy of something resembling a ChangeLog, not an
unstable references to one that may or may not exist by the time someone
knows they care.

-- Jeff