Switching to Subversion

Samuel Degrande Samuel.Degrande at lifl.fr
Wed Apr 6 12:31:25 EDT 2005

Sam Hartman wrote:

> The MIT Kerberos team is contemplating a transition in source control
> systems from CVS to Subversion.  Subversion has several features that
> will be attractive to our development process:
>
> * Atomic change sets.  You can commit a group of files across the tree
>   in one operation and can easily look at the log for an operation.
>   For example operations like "what all has changed in the KDC in the
>   last two months," are much easier than with CVS.  Our use of
>   ChangeLogs makes this better than it could be with CVS but
>   Subversion will still be an improvement.
>
> * Ability to rename and delete files and directories.
>
> IN addition subversion frontends like svk provide support for offline
> development and better merging as well as third-party branches.
>
> The major down side of this change is that the community will need to
> use Subversion rather than CVS to access our development sources.  It
> will be a new tool to learn, potentially a new port to open in the
> firewall.

There's no need to open a new port IF you use HTTP to transport
SVN requests. SVN clients can use WebDAV to access the repository.
So if you have access to the Internet, you have access to SVN repositories
configured to use HTTP

>From the client point of view, there are no big differences between SVN
and CVS, apart from a difference in philosophy. With CVS you are used
to have a revision number and a log-message per commited files.
With SVN, each time you commit a set of files, a global revision number
is incremented, and a log-message is attached to that revision. A revision
is much like a snapshot of all your repository.

> We're seeking comments from the community on this possible transition.
>
> Sam Hartman
> MIT Information Services and Technology

Samuel Degrande           LIFL - UMR8022 CNRS - INRIA Futurs - Bat M3
Phone: (33)3.28.77.85.30  USTL - Universite de Lille 1
Fax:   (33)3.28.77.85.37  59655 VILLENEUVE D'ASCQ CEDEX - FRANCE
[CA certs: http://igc.services.cnrs.fr/CNRS-Standard/recherche.html ]