Repackaging Kerberos for Windows 2.6.2

Jeffrey Altman jaltman at columbia.edu
Thu Jul 8 22:46:30 EDT 2004

KFW 2.6.4 is currently in beta.  I strongly recommend that you
distribute the 2.6.4
binaries when they are finally released.

I do not know how you have constructed your .msi installer so I do not
know what registry
settings if any you are setting.  What I can tell you is that KFW does
not depend on any
registry settings being inserted into the registry for it to work
(unless you are using the MSLSA
ccache and have 2000 SP4, XP SP2, or 2003.)  All of the potential
registry settings you can
set are documented in the KFW release notes.

The MIT Kerberos team currently distributes an installer based on the
NSIS open source
product.  This was chosen because it is scriptable and open source.  The
sources are provided
as part of the SDK.  Creating an automated install mode (aka quiet
installer in NSIS speak)
is left as an exercise to the reader.  If you add this functionality
consider contributing to the
MIT Kerberos team.

Since we started shipping the NSIS installer, Microsoft has open sourced
an installer tools
for constructing MSIs.  It is unclear whether we will ship and installer
based on this technology
or not.    http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/wix/sources-2.0.1727.0.zip
The one thing I do ask is that if you are going to construct installers
please re-use the same
installation components and registry keys for version control that are
used in the MIT KFW
installer.  Doing so will allow the publicly distributed installer to be
used to upgrade the
version you are putting on your systems.

Jeffrey Altman