Porting Heimdal's libkafs to MIT Kerberos

Ken Hornstein kenh at cmf.nrl.navy.mil
Fri Jan 9 13:54:47 EST 2004

>That said, I think libkafs is probably the right way to go for AFS
>support and would like to see a version of libkafs that worked with
>MIT Kerberos.  I just don't see anything you gain from folding it into
>the main Kerberos distribution.

As an application developer, it really really sucks that I can count on
libkafs support in one Kerberos distribution, and not in another.  For
example, it would be extremely useful to use krb5-config (which I am
using now in configure scripts) to find the location or the existance
of the libkafs library.  I don't really see a reasonable way of doing
that if libkafs isn't part of the MIT distribution.  It makes me not
want to suppot MIT Kerberos when I write code that uses AFS.  Hell, the
whole reason aklog exists as a separate application is that MIT
Kerberos doesn't include libkafs.

--Ken