Porting Heimdal's libkafs to MIT Kerberos

Sam Hartman hartmans at MIT.EDU
Fri Jan 9 15:24:45 EST 2004

    >> That said, I think libkafs is probably the right way to go for
    >> AFS support and would like to see a version of libkafs that
    >> worked with MIT Kerberos.  I just don't see anything you gain
    >> from folding it into the main Kerberos distribution.

    Ken> As an application developer, it really really sucks that I
    Ken> can count on libkafs support in one Kerberos distribution,
    Ken> and not in another.  For example, it would be extremely
    Ken> useful to use krb5-config (which I am using now in configure
    Ken> scripts) to find the location or the existance of the libkafs
    Ken> library.  I don't really see a reasonable way of doing that
    Ken> if libkafs isn't part of the MIT distribution.  It makes me
    Ken> not want to suppot MIT Kerberos when I write code that uses
    Ken> AFS.  Hell, the whole reason aklog exists as a separate
    Ken> application is that MIT Kerberos doesn't include libkafs.

Yes, Heimdal's customer base cares a lot more about AFS than our
perceived customer base does.  So we make different decisions about
what to include.

I don't understand why AC_CHECK_LIB(kafs) or whatever is so hard.