kerberos for OS 9

MIT Macintosh Development Team macdev at MIT.EDU
Fri Jul 11 16:37:14 EDT 2003

At 1:45 PM -0500 7/11/03, Leslie Hogben wrote:
>I have just been informed by Iowa State University's Academic
>Information Technology (AIT) office that for security reasons they
>will be acquiring a new version of Kerberos that will not accept Mac
>OS 9.
>Please let me know whether there is any way to
>1) get my OS 9.2.2 to work with this new version Iowa State is
>getting so I can check my e-mail?
>I actually have OS X on my recently purchased Powerbook G4 but reset
>the startup disk to OS 9 since neither I nor some of my software
>works with OS X.  I have no intention of resetting to OS X; if
>necessary I will acquire another e-mail provider that does not
>require it.
>If the answer to (1) is no,
>2) is there a version of kerberos with the newest security features
>that accepts OS 9?
>AIT says the answer to this is no, is that correct?
>
>According to ISU's AIT office, they want a new secure version of
>kerberos that will accept Mac OS 9 as it will be extremely expensive
>and perhaps impossible to upgrade all Mac OS 9's currently in use,
>but such thing is not available.
>In addition to the expense to ISU, I doubt I am the only OS 9 user
>who feels  OS X is not a Mac operating system; it is a PC wannabe.

Since we are not familiar with the Iowa State computing environment,
we cannot be sure exactly which issues you are referring to above nor
can we say if your e-mail will work or not.  This really sounds like
an issue you need to discuss further with the Iowa State IT
department, we do not have any influence over their decisions.

We do not plan to do any more major work to the Mac OS 9 version of
Kerberos for Macintosh.  The MIT development team simply does not
have the resources to continue working on both it and the Mac OS X
version of Kerberos, and we, like Apple, have chosen to focus on Mac
OS X.

Scott McGuire / smcguire at mit.edu
MIT Information Systems Macintosh Developer