compiling krb5-1.2.8 for OS X Server 10.2.5

Alexandra Ellwood lxs at MIT.EDU
Fri Apr 25 15:42:01 EDT 2003

>In regard to: Re: compiling krb5-1.2.8 for OS X Server 10.2.5, Alexandra...:
>
>>>Also take a look at the patch to Alpha 2 that I posted to the
>>>krb5-bugs list:
>>>
>>>http://mailman.mit.edu/pipermail/krb5-bugs/2003-April/000803.html
>>
>>This is not a problem with the MIT Kerberos build system.  The
>>problem is that Apple's ld behaves differently than ld on every other
>>platform.
>
>Except Tru64 UNIX, though there you can turn the default behavior off.

Sorry, what I meant to say was "most other platforms". At least I
managed to get it right in the next sentence.

My understanding is that the Tru64 ld behavior is intentional and
documented.  I could find no documentation from Apple even mentioning
the difference, and I found some documentation which contradicted the
observed behavior.  Seems like a bug to me.

I suspect that Apple will not change their default ld behavior since
that might cause problems for people depending on it.  If and when
they provide an option or environment variable to get the "normal"
behavior, we can modify the krb5 build system to use it.

Sorry for the confusion,

--lxs