compiling krb5-1.2.8 for OS X Server 10.2.5

Tim Mooney mooney at dogbert.cc.ndsu.NoDak.edu
Fri Apr 25 15:10:11 EDT 2003

In regard to: Re: compiling krb5-1.2.8 for OS X Server 10.2.5, Alexandra...:

>>Also take a look at the patch to Alpha 2 that I posted to the
>>krb5-bugs list:
>>
>>http://mailman.mit.edu/pipermail/krb5-bugs/2003-April/000803.html
>
>This is not a problem with the MIT Kerberos build system.  The
>problem is that Apple's ld behaves differently than ld on every other
>platform.

Except Tru64 UNIX, though there you can turn the default behavior off.

>Mac OS X's ld searches for shared libraries in each path and then
>static libraries in each path.  As a result, shared libraries are
>always chosen over static libraries even if there is a static library
>in an earlier search path than the shared library.

This is the same behavior as the linker on Tru64 UNIX version 4.x and
5.x, and trips up a lot of people.  You can get the older, more common
behavior by making sure that

	-oldstyle_liblookups

is passed to the linker at link time.

Tim