How to krb authenticate w/o a local Mac OS X account?

Steve Lidie sol0 at lehigh.edu
Wed Nov 13 15:09:01 EST 2002

Hello,

My goal is to make a lab of Macs have AFS access just like, say, a lab
of our other Unix offerings.  For instance, when I login to an SGI, I
do AFS authentication and am placed in my AFS home directory.

I've setup your Kerberos authentication such that I can login using my
AFS user/pw combo, but a local account is needed, requiring,
apparently, the identical user/pw combo.  So my immediate goal is to,
say, talk to our NIS server which has the master password file - is
this possible?  Any pointer, however brief, is welcomed.

Eventually I'd like to associate a krb ticket with an AFS token, but
really haven't a clue how to go about that, or even if that makes sense
(;  (e.g., having installed OpenAFS, I'd like to spare the user from
manually doing a klog).

Apologies if my questions are imprecise, this is not an area I have
much experience in ....

Thanks,

Steve Lidie