How to krb authenticate w/o a local Mac OS X account?

Scott McGuire smcguire at MIT.EDU
Wed Nov 13 16:11:01 EST 2002

At 3:08 PM -0500 11/13/02, Steve Lidie wrote:
>My goal is to make a lab of Macs have AFS access just like, say, a
>lab of our other Unix offerings.  For instance, when I login to an
>SGI, I do AFS authentication and am placed in my AFS home directory.
>
>I've setup your Kerberos authentication such that I can login using
>my AFS user/pw combo, but a local account is needed, requiring,
>apparently, the identical user/pw combo.  So my immediate goal is
>to, say, talk to our NIS server which has the master password file -
>is this possible?  Any pointer, however brief, is welcomed.
>
>Eventually I'd like to associate a krb ticket with an AFS token, but
>really haven't a clue how to go about that, or even if that makes
>sense (;  (e.g., having installed OpenAFS, I'd like to spare the
>user from manually doing a klog).
>
>Apologies if my questions are imprecise, this is not an area I have
>much experience in ....

MIT has not experimented with such setups.

Perhaps others on this list can provide suggestions, and you should
take a look at <http://www.macosxlabs.org> where other universities
share details about their lab setups with Mac OS X.  I believe
<http://www.openafs.org> also has discussions about Mac OS X.

Good luck,

Scott McGuire / smcguire at mit.edu
MIT Information Systems Macintosh Developer