krb5-appl/1087: ftp clients can't connect to ftpd over a NAT

Donn Cave donn at u.washington.edu
Wed Apr 17 13:14:00 EDT 2002

Quoth Sam Hartman <hartmans at mit.edu>:

|     Steven> It'd be _very_ nice if this change could get into release
|     Steven> 1.2.5.
|
| Not going to happen.  If the discussion was about a week earlier it
| might have been possible.  We've been very conservative about what we
| put in patch releases.  The krb_cred fixes were not included because
| of their value for NATs but because they created a Heimdal interop
| problem.
|
| I'm not sure what we would have done had the only reason for the cred
| patches been NAT support.
|
| If there becomes a need for 1.2.6 I'll certainly bring up the issue.

A conservative policy for minor releases is a good thing in general -
I really hate it when every release, no matter how minor, includes
some gratuitous feature change!  But in support of this request -
how many sites out there aren't going to need this patch?  Is there
any site left in the world that isn't stuck with at least some NAT
users?  It's broke, isn't it, and probably for the majority of sites?

	Donn Cave, donn at u.washington.edu