ubuntu16.04 and /etc/krb5.conf

Giuseppe Mazza g.mazza at imperial.ac.uk
Wed Jun 15 12:09:56 EDT 2016

Hi there,

I have got the following setup:
1] ubuntu linux clients
2] windows domain controllers IC.AC.UK
    ubuntu kerberos servers    DOC.IC.AC.UK
    trust relationship between the two domains

Users are created on the windows dc's and can login on linux clients.

In ubuntu14.04 I do not have to declare explicitly in my  /etc/krb5.conf
the windows dc's, i.e. I do not need to write something like:

	IC.AC.UK = {
		default_domain = ic.ac.uk
		kdc = dc1.ic.ac.uk
		kdc = dc2.ic.ac.uk
         }
And it works.

In ubuntu 16.04 I have noticed I need it. If I do not declare it
explicitly, I will not be able to login (for example or graphically or
via ssh).

If I use the following command on a linux ubuntu 16.04 client
host -t SRV _kerberos._udp.ic.ac.uk.
shows the list of dc's.

I can also get a ticket by using kinit username at IC.AC.UK.

However I can not ssh username at _ubuntu16.04host_
It keeps on offering me the password prompt.

Regards,
Giuseppe

P.S.
I can always declare my DCs in /etc/krb5.conf. This is not a problem.
I wanted just to know whether it is possible to avoid that.