keytabs basics linux <=> AD ?

Brandon Allbery ballbery at sinenomine.net
Fri Jun 10 17:06:43 EDT 2016

Kerberos picks a realm based on the hostname. When you use the swir.private.ceb.private.dom hostname, it infers the realm PRIVATE.CEB.PRIVATE.DOM from your [domain_realm] mapping; but Samba is not using that realm for authentication and AD doesn’t know about that realm.

In general, trying to mix realms like this --- especially when the machine is both a KDC for one realm and, for SMB, a member of a different realm --- is a recipe for trouble. Your best bet would probably be a wrapper for the SMB client utilities that points them to a Samba-specific krb5.conf (via KRB5_CONFIG environment variable) that knows to use the AD realm information instead.