ubuntu16.04 and /etc/krb5.conf

Greg Hudson ghudson at mit.edu
Wed Jun 15 12:33:12 EDT 2016

On 06/15/2016 12:09 PM, Giuseppe Mazza wrote:
> In ubuntu14.04 I do not have to declare explicitly in my  /etc/krb5.conf
> the windows dc's, i.e. I do not need to write something like:
>
> 	IC.AC.UK = {
> 		default_domain = ic.ac.uk
> 		kdc = dc1.ic.ac.uk
> 		kdc = dc2.ic.ac.uk
>          }
> And it works.
>
> In ubuntu 16.04 I have noticed I need it. If I do not declare it
> explicitly, I will not be able to login (for example or graphically or
> via ssh).

Nothing should have changed to make this necessary.  If you'd like to
help figure out what's going on, comparing the output of
"KRB5_TRACE=/dev/stdout kinit user at IC.AC.UK" on both versions might be
helpful.  Also, finding out the installed krb5 version for each Ubuntu
version ("dpkg -l krb5-user") would be useful.

Also, default_domain is a krb4 relic.  You should never need to set it
any more.