k5start -K and ticket renewals

steve steve at steve-ss.com
Thu Jan 16 13:10:22 EST 2014

On Thu, 2014-01-16 at 09:48 -0800, Russ Allbery wrote:
> steve <steve at steve-ss.com> writes:
> > On Wed, 2014-01-15 at 18:51 -0800, Russ Allbery wrote:
>
> >> It's also sort of weird and complex, and people struggle to understand it.
>
> >> I'm therefore considering changing the next release to always acquire
> >> fresh tickets each time k5start wakes up.  So if you run k5start -K 10,
> >> then k5start will wake up every ten minutes and acquire new tickets
> >> unconditionally, regardless of whether the current tickets are about to
> >> expire.
>
> > Hi
> > From: The Campaign To Save -K (European branch)
>
> > Please remember that you're not always dealing with admins with mit
> > education;) Here, we're just simple folk who have to keep a domain
> > alive. Every day. We are scared to death of Kerberos. -K works an
> > absolute treat. We understand it. Could you please retain it? If you
> > must make a change then could it be an addition? We'd suggest -J. If you
> > already have -J then just choose another letter. Easy.
>
> I'm fairly sure that you won't notice any difference at all except that it
> will be easier to understand.  I think this change will actually make -K
> *better* for people who don't care about what's going on under the hood
> and just need an active ticket cache.
>
> If I'm missing something, though, please do let me know.

Only the human aspect of it. If you are saying that our -K now will work
the same as your new -K then perfect. But you aren't. You can only give
us 'fairly sure'. My boss doesn't do 'fairly sure'. Please don't fix
something that isn't broken. If you really must do soething to k5start,
leave -K as it is and do -someOtherLetter as an additional switch.
Cheers