k5start -K and ticket renewals

Russ Allbery eagle at eyrie.org
Thu Jan 16 12:48:27 EST 2014

steve <steve at steve-ss.com> writes:
> On Wed, 2014-01-15 at 18:51 -0800, Russ Allbery wrote:

>> It's also sort of weird and complex, and people struggle to understand it.

>> I'm therefore considering changing the next release to always acquire
>> fresh tickets each time k5start wakes up.  So if you run k5start -K 10,
>> then k5start will wake up every ten minutes and acquire new tickets
>> unconditionally, regardless of whether the current tickets are about to
>> expire.

> Hi
> From: The Campaign To Save -K (European branch)

> Please remember that you're not always dealing with admins with mit
> education;) Here, we're just simple folk who have to keep a domain
> alive. Every day. We are scared to death of Kerberos. -K works an
> absolute treat. We understand it. Could you please retain it? If you
> must make a change then could it be an addition? We'd suggest -J. If you
> already have -J then just choose another letter. Easy.

I'm fairly sure that you won't notice any difference at all except that it
will be easier to understand.  I think this change will actually make -K
*better* for people who don't care about what's going on under the hood
and just need an active ticket cache.

If I'm missing something, though, please do let me know.

--
Russ Allbery (eagle at eyrie.org)              <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>