Lion problems

Arthur Prokosch arthurp at csail.mit.edu
Mon Mar 12 16:52:20 EDT 2012

Jaap Winius wrote:
> Today I attempted to get a Kerberos client running on Mac OS X. This
> is 10.7 (Lion) system on which I had just installed a package from the
> mit.edu site called Mac_OS_X_10.4_10.6_Kerberos_Extras.dmg.

To my knowledge, MIT IS&T is now maintaining the Kerberos Extras
package, primarily as a service to the MIT community.  The current
version can be downloaded by all from:
http://downloads.mit.edu/released/kerberos-extras/MIT-Kerberos-Extras.dmg

Jeff Davalos wrote:
> For what it is worth, I heard that Lion does not utilize the
> edu.mit.Kerberos file, but I have no confirmed this or understood
> why.

I haven't seen evidence of that.  Here at CSAIL[1], we have
consistently been able to obtain kerberos tickets that reflect
settings from that file, e.g. the default_realm.  Also, the file path
that MIT Kerberos Extras deploys krb5.ini-style settings to in 10.7 is
still /Library/Kerberos/edu.mit.Kerberos

We've wandered into Heimdal territory here and should probably switch
to heimdal-discuss at sics.se or discussions.apple.com.  In the meantime:
if anyone else has seen Mac OS 10.7 Heimdal tickets lose their
Forwardable and Proxiable flags in the process of initiating GSSAPI
ssh connections or has an explanation, I'd be quite interested to hear
off-list.

best,
-arthur prokosch
system administrator
[1]MIT Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Lab.