Windows Server Referral Problem

Richard E. Silverman res at qoxp.net
Mon Sep 3 17:33:59 EDT 2007

    EN> Markus I have a request out to Microsoft to get more information
    EN> on this.  Microsoft apparently are not following the draft IETF
    EN> standard as yet but have something similar (pre-draft spec)
    EN> implemented in 2000/2003. 09 spec shows differences in Appendix.

    EN> I would check both DNS and AD:

    EN> - For DNS check that server2.example.com has a correct forward and
    EN> reverse. Possible that reverse maps back to another name and thus
    EN> wrong SPN being requested from AD - Check AD has the right SPN
    EN> registered in domain. I also assume this is one forest and you
    EN> left appropriate delay for new server to replicate.

    EN> It is not clear (to me...) how Windows does cross-forest but
    EN> within forest it can look up SPN through Global Catalog and return
    EN> referral to correct domain.

For cross-forest, Windows has "top-level name translations" (TLN's).  A
TLN is a mapping from a domain name suffix to a realm.  When Windows
consults the GC to satisfy a ticket request, if it doesn't find the
principal, it first matches the principal hostname against the defined
TLN's, and returns a referral to the specified realm if there's a match.
For instance, to define a TLN in the realm WINDOWS mapping hostnames
*.unix.foo.com to a realm UNIX, use these Windows commands on a domain
controller:

netdom trust WINDOWS /domain:UNIX /foresttransitive:yes
netdom trust WINDOWS /domain:UNIX /addtln:unix.foo.com

I use this to solve the problem of Windows clients accessing Unix-based
kerberized services which reside in a Unix-based realm, via cross-realm
trust.  The problem is that Windows always assumes any server is in its
own realm, and generates a ticket request for Unix-based principal in the
Windows realm.  This trick provides the needed referral.

--
  Richard Silverman
  res at qoxp.net