Compile problems on Solaris 2.6

tomaddox@gmail.com tomaddox at gmail.com
Fri Oct 27 13:44:34 EDT 2006

Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
> I don't know if Solaris 6 has a definition of `IN6ADDR_ANY_INIT', but on
> a Solaris 10 system here I can see it in `/usr/include/netinet/in.h':
>
> | % pwd
> | /usr/include
> | % gfgrep -r IN6ADDR_ANY_INIT .
> | ./netinet/in.h: * Note: Macros IN6ADDR_ANY_INIT and IN6ADDR_LOOPBACK_INIT are for
> | ./netinet/in.h: * const struct in6_addr IN6ADDR_ANY_INIT;
> | ./netinet/in.h:#define  IN6ADDR_ANY_INIT                { 0, 0, 0, 0 }
> | ./netinet/in.h:#define  IN6ADDR_ANY_INIT            {   0, 0, 0, 0,     \
> | ./resolv.h:#ifdef IN6ADDR_ANY_INIT
> | %
>
> If Solaris 6 has the same definition too, then you will have to find out
> why `fake-addrinfo.c' fails to include `/usr/include/netinet/in.h'.

Right.  Per an email I received, the MIT Kerberos team doesn't test on
Solaris versions prior to 9, and Solaris 2.6 didn't have an IP version
6 implementation, so ipv6 compatibility is configured into MIT's krb5
by default.  It looks like I have three options to deal with this
issue:

1) Hack the Kerberos code to tell it not to include ipv6
2) Upgrade Solaris
3) Use a different Kerberos implementation

I can't *really* blame MIT for not testing compatibility with a
decade-old Solaris release, but I do wish they'd included a configure
option for disabling ipv6.