Oracle Advanced Security Option and Kerberos

Douglas E. Engert deengert at anl.gov
Fri Feb 24 16:03:47 EST 2006

Your assessment of Oracle support appears to be what we are hearing as well.
Which is too bad, is it does not look like it would take to much to make
it work better.

Are you interested in pursuing additional changes, if we can get enough
different organizations to complain?

Craig Huckabee wrote:

> Douglas E. Engert wrote:
>

>>Oracle has had Kerberos support for about 10 years via the Oracle Advanced
>>Security Option (ASO) formally know as Oracle Advanced Networking Option.
>>There are a lot of articles from 1998-2003 on using the ASO but very
>>little after.
>

> And Oracle's support staff knows very little about it as well.
>

>>I am looking for other Kerberos sites that use Oracle with or without the ASO
>>who would like to see the ASO improved. I would also be interested to know if
>>you have approached Oracle on improvements, and what was their response.
>>

> I have contacted them on behalf of our organization, and filed bug
> reports - the response has been "Yeah, that's the way it works - too
> bad.  No plans to fix that".
>
> Oracle's tech support is more interested in closing the ticket quickly
> than providing an actual answer or fix, IMHO.
>
> --Craig

  Argonne National Laboratory
  9700 South Cass Avenue
  Argonne, Illinois  60439