KfW starting and stopping Network Identity Manager

Jeffrey Altman jaltman2 at nyc.rr.com
Thu Apr 20 22:07:28 EDT 2006

petesea at bigfoot.com wrote:
> Is it possible to start the Network Identity Manager (netidmgr.exe)
> WITHOUT prompting for credentials?

> I'd like to have it start on boot, but I just want it to start minimized
> in the system tray even if there are no credentials.  I'd prefer it wait
> until an application (eg, WinCVS,TortoiseCVS using ssh/gssapi) actually
> attempts to retrieve credentials before it prompts for anything.

This is an option that is set on the Options->General page.

> I've tried using no options and I've tried with -a, but in either
> case it prompts for credentials.
>
> On the flip side, stopping the Network Identity Manager.  Is there a
> "correct" way to cleanly stop it from the command line?  I've tried using
> "-k" (like krbcc32s.exe) but it doesn't appear to be supported.  The only
> way I've been able to terminate the process is to kill it.  Again, I'm
> looking for a way to close it from the command line.

There is no method to use one instance of NetIdMgr to terminate
an instance that is already running.

> And no matter how it's killed, even by doing right-click->Exit, on the
> tray icon, the krbcc32s.exe process seems to remain running.  I then need
> to kill it with "krbcc32s -k".   If netidmgr closes shouldn't it close
> krbcc32s?  Is there a valid reason krbcc32s is left running?
>
> Are there any other processes that might be left running other then
> krbcc32s?

krbcc32s.exe is the credential cache server.   This process is not part
of NetIDMgr.exe.  It will be started whenever an application loading
the krb5 or krb4 or gss libraries is started.

Why do you want these processes shutdown?