KfW starting and stopping Network Identity Manager

petesea@bigfoot.com petesea at bigfoot.com
Fri Apr 21 13:18:22 EDT 2006

On Fri, 21 Apr 2006, Jeffrey Altman wrote:

> petesea at bigfoot.com wrote:
>
>> I'd like to have it start on boot, but I just want it to start
>> minimized in the system tray even if there are no credentials.  I'd
>> prefer it wait until an application (eg, WinCVS,TortoiseCVS using
>> ssh/gssapi) actually attempts to retrieve credentials before it prompts
>> for anything.
>
> This is an option that is set on the Options->General page.

Ah OK... I'm sure I played with that before but didn't get quite the
behavior I wanted. Now I believe that was probably before I figured
out how to start netidmgr minimized and I was confusing "minimized"
behavior with "prompt for credentials" behavior.

I actually need it to start in 2 slightly different ways, one way during
the initial install and another when the system boots.  But I believe I
now have the correct combination of how to start minimized and when to use
the --autoinit option.

> There is no method to use one instance of NetIdMgr to terminate an
> instance that is already running.

So is killing the process the "correct" way to terminate it from the
command line?  I'm actually killing it from a Cygwin-based Perl script via
"/bin/kill -f PID" .  I'd prefer to use a more "friendly" way to tell
netidmgr to shutdown, but so far killing it's the only way I've found.
(See below for reasons why I need it to shutdown.)

>> Are there any other processes that might be left running other then
>> krbcc32s?
>
> krbcc32s.exe is the credential cache server.  This process is not part
> of NetIDMgr.exe.  It will be started whenever an application loading the
> krb5 or krb4 or gss libraries is started.
>
> Why do you want these processes shutdown?

My company uses an internal application to distribute packages to the
developers.  I'm creating an integrated package for CVS/Subversion access
via SSH (probably PuTTY) and KfW.  The package will (eventually) contain
all the components needed to access our CVS/SVN servers (eg. KfW, PuTTY,
WinCVS, etc).

In other words, I'm not using the standard KfW installer/uninstaller, so
when there's a new version of my package available I need to shutdown any
running KfW processes before I can upgrade the files.

Other then netidmgr and krbcc32s, are there any other processes I might
need to look for?  And if so, do any of these have a "correct" way to shut
them down?  NOTE: KfW is only used by SSH (currently a GSSAPI-enabled
version of PuTTY).