libdb.a

Phil Dibowitz phil at usc.edu
Thu May 12 14:55:12 EDT 2005

On Thu, May 12, 2005 at 02:47:17PM -0400, Ken Raeburn wrote:
> On May 12, 2005, at 14:35, Phil Dibowitz wrote:
> >So previous versions of kerberos included a static lib called libdb.a,
> >that
> >one of our developers used.
> >
> >I've noticed that in the 1.4 series this no longer exists...
>
> It's still in our tree, and linked into the programs that access the
> Kerberos database directly, but we're no longer installing it.  We
> don't want to be in the business of supporting a general-purpose
> database package.
>
> What we're (still) using is an old version of the Berkeley/Sleepycat
> database package, with some bug fixes.  (We can't update because of
> licensing issues.)  You might want to check the Sleepycat web site,
> and/or look up the BDB sources in your favorite open-source OS
> distribution.
>
> Or, you could tweak the Kerberos sources to install the db library on
> your system ... but if you run into problems with db unrelated to its
> use in the KDC and related programs we ship, we don't support it.

Erm, no, I mean it's not _built_, from the source directory:

[phil at metallica krb5-1.4.1]$ find . -name 'libdb*'
./src/util/db2/libdb.exports
./OBJ/5.9/util/db2/libdb.so
./OBJ/5.9/util/db2/libdb.so.1.1
./OBJ/5.9/util/db2/libdb.so.1
./OBJ/5.9/lib/libdb.so.1.1
./OBJ/5.9/lib/libdb.so
./OBJ/5.9/lib/libdb.so.1
[phil at metallica krb5-1.4.1]$ find . -name '*.a'
./OBJ/5.9/util/ss/libss.a
./OBJ/5.9/util/pty/libpty.a
./OBJ/5.9/lib/apputils/libapputils.a
./OBJ/5.9/lib/libss.a
./OBJ/5.9/lib/libpty.a
./OBJ/5.9/lib/libapputils.a
./OBJ/5.9/appl/telnet/libtelnet/libtelnet.a
[phil at metallica krb5-1.4.1]$

The shared version is there, the static version doesn't exist...

--
Phil Dibowitz
Systems Architect and Administrator